Laura Lauder is a native of Canton, Ohio and journeyed to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Seville, Spain for her undergraduate education. In 1992, she joined her husband Gary in their venture capital partnership, Lauder Partners, specializing in Internet and media investments.
Laura now primarily focuses her efforts on strategic grantmaking through the Laura and Gary Lauder Family Venture Philanthropy Fund and in numerous leadership capacities at local and national nonprofit organizations.
Laura is a nonprofit entrepreneur. She is the founder of DeLeT: Day School Teaching through Leadership, a national Jewish Teach for America program that is a selective fellowship to recruit, train and retain Jewish Day School teachers in the US. DeLet is modeled on Laura’s experience as a fellow in the Wexner Heritage Foundation. She is
Laura also serves on numerous nonprofit boards. She is chair of the $2.1 billion Jewish Community Endowment Fund of San Francisco, on the board and executive committee of the San Francisco Jewish Federation. She serves on the Advisory Board of Directors of Service Year Alliance, which creates opportunities for young adults to serve their country through a year of full-time community service. She serves on the Board of Trustees of the Aspen Institute, and on the National Constitution Center Board of Directors. She has previously served on the boards of the National Public Radio Foundation and Spark Networks —
Laura is active with the Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO/WPO), a global leadership network and is a fellow of the Council on Foreign Relations. She was named one of “10 Women to Watch” by Jewish Woman magazine in 2004. She has won numerous awards, including Volunteer of the Year from the San Francisco Jewish Community Federation in 2011, the Jim Brooks Achievement Award in 2004, and the San Francisco Bay Area Dinkelspiel Young Leadership Award in 1999.
Laura is an avid cyclist and won a bronze medal in the Maccabi Games in Israel in
Nonprofit Boards and Committees on which Laura serves:
- AIPAC, NW Regional Board
- Aspen Institute, Board of Trustees
- Aspen Institute, Socrates Program, Board Advisory Committee
- Barbro and Bernard Osher Foundation, Board of Directors
- DeLeT Alumni Network (through Hebrew Union College and Brandeis University), Advisory Board
- Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund of San Francisco, Board Chair and Executive Committee Member
- Jewish Teen Foundation Board Incubator, Co-Founder
- Jim Joseph Foundation, Board of Directors
- National Constitution Center, Board of Directors
- Ronald Lauder Foundation, Board of Directors
- Service Year Alliance, Board of Advisors